Total Pageviews

Friday, May 21, 2010

the case for letting sleeping dogs lie (with apologies to the judge).

and pun intended.

we watched under the mountain today. and in my opinion…what a pile of crap!

spoilers may probably follow…you have been warned. I’m afraid I don’t have as much discretion as the judge. firstly. it was either way ahead of its time in 1982, or maurice gee was embracing the feminist revolution, but what was wrong with having rachel as the strong one? secondly. was it necessary to have a love interest for ricky? I mean please…he spent the whole movie trying to get his end away (and I was disappointed he didn’t die in the end, he was a dick). thirdly. wtf was it with mr jones? he was not very likeable at all.

I think watching the 80s series which stuck pretty closely to the book was wise in retrospect. now I know that there was way more time in a tv series to develop characters etc, but I think they departed too much from the story line. it was nearly unrecognisable as the same story.

one positive and one nice touch. I did like seeing the original mr wilberforce in the movie (I did hear the original theo and rachel were in the movie too but I must say I was not watching that closely). and it was interesting seeing the britomart in the opening part seeing as it was the same station that was in the original…just a bit flasher.

i think all of us preferred the original (shame they couldn't resurrect billy t. he was fantastic!).


No comments: